On March 25, 2019, Workplace from Meta will allow any premium customers to move their community to workplace.com. Not sure what this means? Read on for a simple guide on preparing your community for a seamless migration to workplace.com.
STEP ONE: Refresh Your Workplace Materials
Unlike the wildebeest migration in Kenya when crossing the Mara River on the Serengeti, no-one will be left behind (or snapped up by crocodiles). Be sure to refresh all your Workplace materials and follow the below prompts:
- Notify your community. Select a date that you plan to move your community to workplace.com and communicate this to all employees. You can share with them the new URL to access Workplace [subdomain.workplace.com]. Let them know that nothing about their experience will change and we will continue redirecting from facebook URLs for now. To ensure the news gets to everyone, you can use the Mark as Important feature to mark the post for top of News Feed and send email notifications.
- Mobile app update: Once you move to workplace.com, all employees should update their mobile app to the most recent version. Older mobile apps will still work, but there may be some issues with link sharing.
- Update your Workplace documentation and links. As your community moves to workplace.com, you will want to update any Workplace training or educational materials your community uses to say workplace.com instead of facebook.com. Likewise, if you have any shared Workplace links documented you should update them to subdomain.workplace.com.
STEP TWO: Technical Preparation
During the move over to workplace.com, there should be no changes that may impact your login experience, Single-Sign-On (SSO) or integrations. However, to ensure Murphy’s Law does not prevail, here is what you should consider updating:
- Reconfiguring SSO: There is no immediate need to change your SSO configuration, your existing configuration will still operate. If you are interested in switching your SSO URLs, please reach out to support.
- Account Management (SCIM) and Graph APIs: The SCIM and Graph APIs will work across both facebook.com and workplace.com domains. Continuing to use the old URL will have no negative impact, however, it is recommended to plan to change over which can be done by changing your app to point to workplace.com.
STEP THREE: It’s Moving Day!
It’s up to you when you would like to migrate to workplace.com. We recommend making the move early in the day to ensure your technical support team are available to answer any questions or concerns that may arise.
To move to workplace.com, go to the “Preferences” section of the Admin Panel and toggle the “Workplace URL” setting on. This will move everyone in your community to workplace.com. You can toggle this back if there are any issues, but we do not recommend moving back and forth multiple times. That’s it… you are now on workplace.com!
Got a technical question that needs an answer? Head to the Workplace Help Centre for Frequently Asked Questions. Alternatively, please reach out to Workplace Support or one of our awesome Enablers.